The City of Little Rock will open its Alert and Community Centers to citizens who need a cool place to seek relief from the heat. Serious health consequences can occur for elderly and other residents who may not have air conditioning in their homes. According to the National Weather Service, heat is the number one weather-related killer in the United States.
The Alert Center addresses are as follows:
- East of Broadway Alert Center – 500 East 21st Street
- West Baseline Alert Center – 9209 Mann Road
- South End Alert Center – 1100 West 33rd Street
- Willie L. Hinton Neighborhood Resource Center – 3805 West 12th Street
- West Central Alert Center – 4200 John Barrow Road
- Wakefield Alert Center – 7414 Doyle Springs Road
- Central High Alert Center – 1108 South Park Street
- Capitol View/Stifft Station Alert Center – 2715 West 7th Street
The Alert Centers are all staffed and will be open from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
Little Rock’s Community Centers locations:
- Dunbar Community Center – 1001 West 16th Street
- East Little Rock Community Center – 2500 East 6th Street
- Southwest Community Center – 6401 Baseline Road
- Stephens Community Center – 3720 West 18th Street
The Community Centers are staffed and will have signage directing residents to the rooms they may utilize for cooling off purposes. Other spaces are in use for the Playground and Senior Programs.
On May 22, 2013, the City opened the Jericho Way Homeless Day Resource Center, which services approximately 75 to 100 each day. Two (2) vans are utilized to assist in transporting individuals to the facility where breakfast and lunch are provided. In addition, clients can take showers, as well as meet with caseworkers. Caseworkers are available to assist the clients in looking for housing, employment identification and medical appointments.
In addition, the City of Little Rock is participating in the 6th year of collaboration with the Salvation Army to provide a Cooling Center at 111 West Markham Street from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM every day when the heat index reaches 100 degrees.